Sunday, February 10, 2008

I'm Still Here....... Kind Of

Well, it's been about a week since I last posted, and it may be rare that I post for the next month or so. I have started my new job, and I spent all of last week in Bakersfield, and tomorrow I head to L.A. for a couple of additional weeks of training. I assumed that since I had my nights free - and since Bakersfield is not necessarily the entertainment capitol of the world - that I'd be able to do a lot of posting in the evenings. However, given the choice of blogging or lying on a fluffy bed watching T.V. all night, T.V. seemed to win.

Obviously a lot has happened in the world of politics since we last spoke. It's just a formality, but McCain has won the Republican nomination, and given Obama's performance on Super Tuesday, and especially his performance SINCE Super Tuesday, I'd say he's on the way to wrapping up his parties nomination, although that is far from a foregone conclusion, and knowing the Clinton's we are going to see a sudden rise in "dirt" on the Senator from Illinois.

So how do I feel about this turn of events? Well, I'm not a big fan of McCain on most fronts, but I do think that he has the best shot of beating Hillary in a head-to-head battle. The question is, is that the best outcome? I've been a strong proponent of the "Anyone but Hillary" stand, and I know that McCain will be 100% better than Hillary. But, I doubt that McCain will be the great president that we need, and it might be the best thing for the Republican party to have Hillary in the White House. Look, it took the abysmal record of Jimmy Carter to give us Ronald Reagan, so in the long run Hillary might be a blessing. That is if there is still a country left to save.

In an Obama/McCain race, I'd give the edge to Obama. I think the reason McCain beats Hillary is because A) There is so much hatred for Hillary on the right that her candidacy will bring out the conservatives who otherwise might not support McCain - not as much of an issue in an Obama race, and B) McCain generally does well with independents, but those same independents would probably favor Obama.

But the bottom line is, there is still a long way to go between now and November. While we have a good idea of who the players are, we only know the tip of the iceberg as far as what their policies are. Sure, we know all about thier campaign promises, but now we start to actually analyze those plans, and decisions will be made.

But me, I have a lot of learning to do. So while I will try to add to these pages as often as possible, for now it may not be too often. We'll see.....

1 comment:

Jody said...

I saw that the Dems are really wooing the "super delegates". It's going to come down to back room politics. While I am no fan of Hillary I think Bill would even her out a bit, so to say. Obama is charismatic but he scares me. I would, however,rather see the Dems take the heat for the problems in this country for a while instead of a liberal Republican.

PS- I changed my voter registration the other day. Until a legitimate 3rd prty comes along I think I'm sticking with "I". :)