Saturday, February 16, 2008

Thank God some things never disappoint....

After roughly 100 posts without missing a day, this will be my only my second in the last two weeks. Why? Well, most of you know that I recently started a new job and I have spent the last two weeks (and next week) out of town training, and even though I had my evenings in the hotel to myself - perfect blog time - I just didn't have anything to talk about. Oh, I had stuff I could talk about, but just wasn't interested in talking about.

I'm hoping that as I settle into the new job that I will return more to blogging. in the meantime I will try to get one or two posts a week in.

So what do I write about? The fact that as my friends back in Iowa were enduring single-digit temperatures I was tooling around L.A. with the top of my convertible down, enjoying whether in the 80's? Naw, that's just mean. Do I discuss the differences between spending last week in L.A. and the week before in Bakersfield? Naw, suffice to say that 100 miles is sometimes the difference between two completely different worlds. Do I talk about my favorite topic, Hillary? You bet.

A story out today on Foxsnews.com starts out with: "A top Hillary Clinton adviser on Saturday boldly predicted his candidate would lock down the nomination before the August convention by definitively winning over party insiders and officials known as superdelegates, claiming the number of state elections won by rival Barack Obama would be “irrelevant” to their decision."

The advisor by the way was Harold Ickes. The thing I find interesting about all of this is that the Clintons are being so honest about their intentions. The fact that this is their plan does not surprise me, but the fact that they admit it does.

Look folks, if Clinton and Obama come out of Puerto Rico - the last primary - on June 7th basically neck-and-neck, then those Superdelegates are going to play a big, big role. But lets say that on June 7th Obama is three or four hundred delegates ahead, but still doesn't have the 2,000-plus delegates necessary to wrap up the nomination. In this Scenario, Hillary see's about 600 or so of the 795 Superdelegates coming to her, securing the nomination. could this happen? Sure it could, and I'm hoping it does. Why?

Simple. This would not only spell the end of Hillary as we know it, but it would hand the presidency to McCain. Look, Obama supporters are going to see this as Hillary "stealing" the nomination, and they’d be "almost" right. "Almost", because what she would have done IS legal, but farther from moral than Bakersfield is from L.A.. If Hillary gets away with this she may win the nomination, but she will lose a huge share of Obama’s supporters. Now I'm not sure those Obama people would vote for McCain, but they certainly wouldn't vote for Hillary.

The funny thing about this is that Ickes is saying that the superdelegates would swing towards Hillary because they "have a sense of what it takes to get elected”. So what Ickes is saying is that even the superdelegates that WANT to vote for Obama will swing towards Hillary, because supporting Obama does them no good if the guy can't win. Never mind that the averages of head-to-head polls on RealClearPolitics.com show Obama beating presumptive GOP nominee John McCain in a general election and Clinton losing.

Yeah, it looks like there will still probably be things to talk about as long as Bill and Hillary stick around. And like that bad smell in my garage that I STILL can't find the source of, I don't think Bill and Hillary are going away anytime soon.

1 comment:

Jody said...

Of the two Hillary is the lesser of the evils... And her social programs won't cost as much as Obama's. :)

And, in that case, I would see a McCain win...

PS Bite me. Convertible... No fair...