Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Johnny Can't Read, Part Two

Yesterday we started to discuss the Democratic Candidates responses to education at their last debate. Senator Chris Dodd, when asked if we should be rewarding outstanding teachers and terminating poor performers stated he believes that we should reward teachers who are willing to teach in rural or poor areas. However, he refused to be pinned down on the fact that it needs to be easier to terminate poor performing teachers.

Next, Governor Bill Richardson stated that he believes that in exchange for two years of government paid tuition, the student in return “repays” that tuition through one year of national service to the country. This sounds good, but I need more information. So I went to Governor Richardson’s website to get more details. Sorry, while he does mention this program I guess we can’t be bothered by actually providing details. And Bill, don’t we already have a program where the government pays your tuition in return for national service: It’s called ROTC.

Some of the other gems on Bill’s website include a plan to decrease drop out rates: “I will invest $1 billion a year in states' dropout prevention programs to encourage the one million students who drop out each year to stay in school.” Again, that sounds great, but what are the details? How are we going to discourage these students from dropping out? Pay them?

Bill says that his educational programs will cost about $60 billion, but that’s okay, because he has already identified $60 billion in weapon system cuts to pay for it. Yeah, that shows quality thinking during a time of war. What, you couldn’t find $60 billion in failed social programs to cut? Need a hand?

This brings up a typical liberal defense, which is spend your way out of a problem. But the only problem is, that doesn’t always work. Consider this: From 1971 to 2001 the nationwide spending per student doubled, and yes, that is adjusted for inflation, which means we have an ACTUAL doubling of funding. Over that same period of time our test scores have been flat, and the drop out rate has gotten worse. So Bill, spending more money isn’t necessarily the best course of action.

There is an old saying that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results. Actually, the real definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, while increasing funding for it, and expecting different results.

There was another gem on Bill’s website, and this comes word for word : “Our work to improve education depends on parental involvement. We should provide all federal employees with eight hours per year of paid, one-to-one time with their children, and encourage private businesses and the rest of the public sector to do the same.”

What? Man, I could have been a doctor or a lawyer if only my dad had spent an extra eight hours a year with me? And people are actually considering putting these people in office.

One last thing we’re going to discuss today, and then tomorrow we start looking at some solutions. Consider this statement from the debate from Senator Joe Biden: “I've laid out a $30 billion plan over five years to -- 16 years of education is what our kids need. They need to start two years earlier and be guaranteed two years after school."

Now I have no problem with preschool. Sure there are some really crappy ones out there, but I think most of them are fine and several are outstanding. What I have a problem with is the phrase “They NEED to start two years earlier….”. No Joe, I disagree. What they need to do is spend that time at home with their mother, HOWEVER I understand that in a lot of homes this is not an option. And if that is the case, then we need to make sure that everyone who needs it has access to a quality preschool. But given the choice between family and preschool, family will always come first.

But of course that’s not how the left sees it. How dare I assume that I can raise my child better than the government.

I also have an issue with Joe stating that everyone needs an education beyond high school. Now I do believe that everyone should have the opportunity to continue their education after high school and beyond, but a lot of people choose not to go to college, and that’s okay. Does that limit their opportunities and learning potential? Maybe, but if someone knows what they want to do and that vocation does not require an education beyond high school, more power to them. But again, the democrats know better than you do what is right for you.

So what is the right thing to do as far as education is concerned? Well, we’ll have to wait until tomorrow to hit those points. But I can give you a hint – It doesn’t involve a union. Do you know what happens when a union is involved in any industry? See below:

3 comments:

Jody said...

Brenna was in a one day preschool at 2 and is in 2 days now. Caelan will do the same. I tink this is important so they can have the interaction with other adults and children. And, as a stay-at-home mommy I really appreciate the sanity it gives me!

But I do agree- people need to raise their own children. The whole "village" idea really isn't working.

Iowa Bob said...

Jody, my point wasn't that you shouldn't put kids in preschool even if you are a stay at home mom. I certainly understand the pressures of raising children, even if you are fortunate enough to not have to work. My issue is with the lefts near insistance that preschool is better than mommy school.

Just as I oppose them telling me what to do with my children, nor am I going to tell other people what to do with there kids. It's not about saying do this or do that, it's about choices.

Jody said...

Oh, no, I understood your point... I completely agree that kids should be with a parent the majority of the time before entering public education.